Christmas 2016

Christmas 2016
Celebrating Christmas at Grandmor & Grandpa Bob's

Thursday, November 11, 2010

My personal advocate

Elizabeth, Terri, Michael, Marty, Bob, Sue, and Heather
Andrew, Katie, and Anna

For those of you who don't know, my daughter Elizabeth is a nurse in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Children's Memorial Hospital which is associated with Northwestern where I am getting my treatments. With her medical knowledge and love of doing internet research, she has been a terrific advocate in working with the doctors. She has helped Terri and me navigate through this challenging and complex journey of symptoms, health providers, medications, side effects, treatment options, and proper care, and does not hesitate to go toe-to-toe with the doctors and health professionals to get the answers we need in order to make the most informed decisions each step of the way. In fact, I know on the days she cannot accompany me to the doctor that I better be sure I have all the answers to the questions we have or I'll face the third degree when we connect later on. The doctors have been most impressed with her knowledge and have welcomed her involvement in the process. I don't know what Terri and I would do if we did not have her checking up on us all along the way.

But I cannot forget the rest of the family who have been a blessing to me during this time. In addition to watching over me and making sure that I do what I should be doing during this time--and don't get into trouble, Terri has taken on additional responsibilities around the house to make sure that everything is running as smoothly as it can. We have faced this challenge as a team and her love and support and hard work have helped me cope with the myriad of issues we have faced. God certainly blessed with me with a very special angel on the day we were married.

Andrew and Katie keep tabs on us from Minnesota on a regular basis.  Just hearing about all that they are doing with little Anna or skyping with them so we can she how she is growing brighten our days. And we get regular emails with photos of all the events in her life. Walgreens is getting to know me quite well as it is one of the outings I make often to pick up the photos. And Terri's brag book is always up to date!

And I can't forget about Elizabeth's husband, Mike, whose good humor and cheer are always appreciated. He has a way of always keeping everything light.

And, finally, my siblings and their families have been great in so many ways including meals, videos, drives to appointments, consultations, and help with tasks around the house. 

(The pictures were taken at Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation 5K events in Chicago and the Twin Cities this fall. Elizabeth and my niece Heather organized a team in Chicago in about 2 weeks and were able to raise $2000. Andrew, Katie, and little Anna were able to walk in the event in Minnesota. A great time was had by all! Thanks to all of you who supported the event.)

No comments:

Post a Comment