Christmas 2016

Christmas 2016
Celebrating Christmas at Grandmor & Grandpa Bob's

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Day 13, On the Road to Recovery (Revised)

Well, I am finally feeling well enough to write and to let you know exactly that--that I am feeling better. It is amazing how well the doctors have dialed in this process even to the point of knowing how you will feel each day--and they were right. Suffice it to say that I was not seriously ill over the past week, but I certainly didn't feel too doggone well with little energy to do much more than lay around and rest. I suppose that has been the best for me.

And the staff here has been fantastic--from the doctors, nurses and their helpers, the patient care team, to the food service staff, the housekeepers, and the chaplain, my good friend Jeanne Wirpsa. Every one not only knows what to do and performs it well, but they are always quite cheerful so I can look forward to one or more interesting conversations throughout the day geared in length and depth to how I am feeling. They are quite respectful of that. 

Dr. Mehta, my primary oncologist, has been his usual personable optimistic self, updating me on how things are going medically, responding to any concerns I might be having, like controlling my need for pain medication by hooking me up to a personal care attendant (PCA), and reassuring me that all is going well. 

And to lift my spirits on those days that seem to go on forever, all I have to do is look around at the photos and artwork of Anna, Norah, Drew, Zach, and Greta, hanging in the room. That is certain to bring a smile to my face. 


Greta Margaret

Zachary Michael Robert

Andrew Michael

Anna Evelyn and Norah Ruth 


Artwork from my grand nieces and grand nephews and photos of my nieces, nephews and grandnieces and grandnephews participating in the MMRF races help to brighten even the gloomiest of days, too. 









One highlight of my day has always been going through the cards I have received with Terri. Thanks to all of you who have sent them with prayers and notes of encouragement. Keeping them on the chest at the end of my bed, has helped to boost my spirits time and time again. Brief calls or texts have also helped to pass the time and keep me pushing forward. Thank you for caring and praying for me and my family. God is certainly good!


No comments:

Post a Comment