Monday, February 28, 2011
Yesterday and today have been relatively quiet days. Dad has been very comfortable during the day. They have been able to wean his sedation a little bit, but he still is not yet able to wake up, open his eyes, or really respond to us. During the day, his temperature has been great, but at night he still is spiking these mystery fevers. Luckily, last night they were able to be proactive by holding his motrin and tylenol until he started to spike, which, along with an ice bath, seemed to help. His temperature only got as high as 102, instead of over 104 as it had the previous nights. The doctors are unsure if this is because the antibiotics were discontinued, if it helps to pre-medicate with motrin/tylenol, or if the steroids that were added yesterday are helping to control the fever. Either way, we are happy that his fevers at night seem to be better controlled, as the fever tends to set off issues with oxygen saturation and blood pressure. He still is very sensitive to being turned, but they were able to have him off the medication to keep his blood pressure high enough today as well as give him the diuretic to help get some of the extra fluid off of him. They have left his ventilator setting at an FiO2 of 55% for the last 2 days. This is below a toxic level, and so they have decided to let him rest for a few days before making any more attempts to wean the vent. Overall, he has made some good progress the last 2 days. Please pray he continues to keep up the good work!! Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers.