Christmas 2016

Christmas 2016
Celebrating Christmas at Grandmor & Grandpa Bob's

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Transplant + 3 days

I've learned that once you have a transplant, every day after that time is based off your transplant day. So today, according to the doctors I am on day 3 of my new life. The days since the transplant have been quite uneventful filled primarily with tiredness and lethargy. Don't quite have the energy to read or write and I've discovered that the hospital's choice of TV stations is rather weak once you get past the major networks. Mostly they have movie channels which seem to show a number of rather dark movies. Seems to me that a couple of channels with light sit-coms might be more appropriate for the patients on these floors. Oh well, I can tell you that I have become an expert on the news of the week--both local and international--as I am amazed at how often the stories are repeated verbatim--day after day!! How many of you heard about the 76-year old Texas woman who was trapped in her apartment in Cairo but ready with her rolling pin to take on any protesters who might harass her?

From what I understand I have entered the calm before the storm as it relates to the side-effects from the chemoblast I had this past Tuesday. They usually kick in around day 4 and can run through day 11 and can include loss of appetite (which I already have), nausea, vomiting, hair loss, and, of most concern to me, mouth sores, which I understand can be quite nasty. If you are so inclined, please pray that I am spared being walloped by them. At the same time, all of my red and white blood cells and platelets are going down until the reinfused stem cells find their way back to my bone marrow and start reproducing. I guess around day 12 or so is when they should have regenerated enough to overcome the chemo side effects--or the side effects will have run their course. I'll be most glad as I approach that day-- which is VALENTINE'S DAY! How appropo! Terri and I can really celebrate this year! If all goes well, I should be discharged a few days after that.

For those of you who have asked, I can have visitors as long as you are healthy since I am at a risk for infection. You will be asked to wash your hands as you enter and leave the room. If you are planning to visit, please call ahead to see how I am feeling (312-472-1589). While I would  love to have you visit, please do not be offended if I turn down your visit should it not be a good day for me.

I'm waiting for Terri to arrive shortly. She will spend the weekend down here with me. We'll find some things to do like playing games on the internet, watching some light-hearted DVDs, playing a little Scrabble, and, of course, getting in my daily walks around the floor which are so important. The Family Room on the floor also overlooks Lake Michigan so we'll stop down there for awhile and watch the various lake moods. They actually have been quite interesting over the past few days given the huge blizzard and extreme cold we have been experiencing.

Thanks to all of you for the care and concern you have shown to Terri and me in so many ways over the past few months. We feel so blessed!

Peace to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment